Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's A Wild Rumpus!

To celebrate Pinky Lee's 4th birthday and Boo Boo Bear's 2nd birthday we decided to throw a Wild Rumpus based on Maurice Sendak's classic children's book "Where The Wild Things Are". Pinky Lee loves this book, especially when we do the wild rumpus!
I spent three weeks planning and crafting for the event, but somehow managed to not get everything done come party day. That is what comes from wanting to do to much. However, all of the kiddos had a great time & most of what I tried to accomplish turned out. Here are some really great websites that I got most of my ideas from. I think I remembered all of them. Thank you to everyone who had great ideas for me to borrow!
My Rumpus - masks, boat & clipart
Metro Baby - magnets (I made these, but didn't get any pictures!)
Toy A Day - again, no pictures. Look for all 3 (Max, Moishe & Sipi) on his site
Caitlin Creer - bubble wrappers (nope, no pictures...but mine were orange with polka dots that resembled bubbles & had the same words as hers)
I'm sure there are plenty of others out there, but these are the ones I found. Please check them out & explore their sites because they've got good stuff!
Here are the things I did:
The King of All Wild Things Tent
Here is my interpretation of the King of All Wild Things tent. I was drawing on the colors from the book & found these gorgeous fabrics. The top is supposed to come up higher, but I was working without a pattern & was off in my measurements. Oh well, still cute, the kids think it's fun & it's about to be a nice addition to the family room.


The Boat
In the story, Max reaches the island of wild things by sailing in his little red sailboat. Without it, this party would have been incomplete. Each of the guests got their picture taken in it. The credit for this project goes to my DH, and he did a great job!


Cupcakes
I was so behind on party day, that I had to frost these as the guests were arriving :0! My plastic bags that I was using to frost both ripped, which has never happened before, so they just got smeared with icing using my giant spatula. Not ideal. However, they were still quite yummy. Knowing I needed to use three cake mixes, I made layered vanilla, strawberry and chocolate cupcakes. The wrappers and the toppers are so cute though. I wish I had better pictures of them. The toppers are various monster faces or "Where the Wild Things Are". The wrappers say "I'll Eat You Up!"

Wild Rumpus Banner

The Thank You Cards
I made these thank you cards THEN realized that I didn't have envelopes that would hold them. So I had to make them by hand. It was more involved than I imagined since I had to make my own template. After completing all the envelopes I felt they were still lacking, so i made a collage of party pictures in black and white to line the inside of the envelope. The thank you cards have two pictures of the party guest, the group photo & one each of Boo Boo and Pinks.

The Invitations
For the invitations, I just used some clip art from the book (courtesy of Nat from My Rumpus), then added my own text, using lines from the story.

Other projects not pictured: magnets, bubble wrappers, personalized treat bag labels, food label cards with cutesy names like Monster Mac n' Cheese, decorate your own crowns & paper toys.

My Wild Things
The first slideshow is of each partygoers pictures in the boat (plus some others). The second slideshow is everything else at the party. There are lots of pictures so be prepared for it to take a while to load. Oh, and look for the cute little "Wild Thing" t-shirts I made for Pinks & Boo!
I hope you enjoyed seeing our Wild Rumpus!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an ADORABLE party! I loved it. I love throwing cool themed parties too. Did you see Eliana's Diva Rock Star Birthday party on my blog? BTW, thanks for linking me.

    Warmly,
    Dianne de Las Casas
    Award-Winning Author and Storyteller
    http://www.storyconnection.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a party! Too bad you weren't closer you could give me some pointers on Bella's 2nd birthday. Everything looked perfect (you're such a great mommy)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job! Looks like they had a great party. :) Thank you for linking to me!

    Christina
    Metro Baby Cards
    www.metrobabycards.com
    www.metrobabyblog.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...