Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Gifts for twin baby girls

A friend of mine recently gave birth to two adorable baby girls (Okay, I haven't seen them yet, but I'm SURE they're adorable!) bringing their family size to a grand total of 6! Yea for families with four kids! LOL! Anywho, I wasn't really sure what they needed, so I decided flex my creative muscle & borrow ideas from all the talented crafters in blog land.
I have been wanting to use these gorgeous fabrics ever since I saw them, but didn't have any need to. Now I do! My first project: Burp Cloths! These burp cloths were made from a free pattern at You Can Make This. My kids think they look like dog bones, but they are the perfect fit over your shoulder. I used the fringe idea from Homemade by Jill to make them even more cute and for ease in sewing.
It's like a burp cloth sandwich. Tee hee.
One side has the beautiful girly girl cotton fabric, while the other side has soft flannel.

And now for something completely different...an idea of my own! Bath mitts! This was super easy & they are super cute. I may just give you a little tutorial (although I'm sure you could figure it out on your own) mostly so I can help you avoid the mistakes I made (although I'm sure you wouldn't make a mistake in the first place, right?)

Then there's the showstoppers!
Okay, that may be a bit over dramatic, but these were a real labor of love. I learned to use my embroidery machine with these. I ruined one & had to start over. I broke two machine needles. That was just for the monograms.
Then there were the ruffles.
Check out those frou frou ruffly butts! Oh my! I used this tutorial from UCreate. This was WAY harder than it should have been. I'm hoping that's just because I used satin ribbon & not because I'm a poor seamstress! :O
It's supposed to have 3 rows of ruffles each, but I stopped after just 2.
Oh, well. They are adorable now & I'm sure she'll appreciate them!

9 comments:

  1. So cute! I especially love that paisley fabric!

    PS: Where did you get your blog header? I'm trying to cobble together one and they're all looking like poo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! All those fabrics came from Hobby Lobby.

    I made the blog header using the free LouLou Collection from Publiscrap Forum found here: http://publiscrapmodo.canalblog.com/
    It's listed under the March 1st entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get any feedback on how the cotton/flannel combo worked? I would like to do something similar but I am concerned the cotton won't absorb the same as the flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brianna,
    Thanks for stopping by! I didn't get any feedback about that yet, but I sent her a message to let me know. That's a great question & I didn't really think about that. I never used burp cloths, just receiving blankets! LOL I'll let you know as soon as I find out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brianna, I just saw you are from Montana? Me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your quick response! Yep I'm from MT, but have lived down south (Louisiana) for just over a year now. We are off on an Air Force adventure, which is great, but we both miss dear old Montana :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get very many comments :( so I get a little excited when one comes in! The ARMY took us all sorts of places, too. Anyway, the mama said the burp cloths work great, but sometimes she hates to use them because they're so cute! LOL However, I would guess that the cotton side is less absorbent. I know that some people use cloth diapers in the middle for extra absorbancy, but I think they're kinda pricey. You could use extra layers of batting. I suppose it's a matter of preference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, thanks! The cotton/flannel combo is just so much fun I'll probably end up going that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I think it's adorable too. Please stop back by & show us what you made! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...